If you’re headed to New York City and love TV and film, you should know that many of your favorite shows have been filmed here. Visiting the locations where many of your favorite scenes have been filmed will provide that additional excitement to your vacation.
NYC is where you’ll find the movie theater from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, the apartment from Enchanted, and the restaurant from Mad About You. You can sign up for a tour with On Location Tours, or head out on your own.
Here are ten of the most exciting filming locations that you must see before your trip ends!
- 1. The Friends Apartment Building. This must be one of the most popular TV series of all time. The exterior of this building was used as the opening credits shot, though the interior was never used for filming. It’s where the six best friends lived. You can find it in the West Village at the corner of Bedford and Grove Streets.
- 2. The New York Public Library. You may have seen the exterior of this building in films such as Breakfast at Tiffany’s, Ghostbusters, and Spider-Man, as well as popular TV shows such as Sex and the City.
- 3. Bow Bridge, Central Park. This famous bridge can be see in Manhattan, Glee, Made of Honor, Little Manhattan, and Uptown Girls.
- 4. Soup Man. Everyone remembers the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld and this is where you can sightsee and try a bowl of their specialty soup.
- 5. Serendipity 3. This is the restaurant where Serendipity was filmed, starring John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale. You can also enjoy the delicious treats during your visit.
- 6. Washington Square Park. Located in Greenwich Village, you can see the filming locations for Barefoot in the Park, August Rush, Gilmore Girls, and I Am Legend.
- 7. Bethesda Terrace and Fountain at Central Park. There’s a lot to see in Central Park, but you’ll want to visit the Fountain in particular. This is where they filmed your favorite scenes from When Harry Met Sally, Enchanted, The Producers, Made of Honor, and One Fine Day.
- 8. Metropolitan Museum of Art. This building’s front steps are quite distinctive in such films as When Harry Met Sally and Maid in Manhatten.
- 9. Rockefeller Center. This is where they film SNL—Saturday Night Live, and 30 Rock. The exterior location has also been used for Elf, Unbreakable, and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.
- 10. The Empire State Building. If it’s an exterior shot of NYC, it’s going to include the Empire State Building. Remember how King Kong climbed it in 1933? It has also been used for films such as An Affair to Remember and Sleepless in Seattle. The Gossip Girl and The Mindy Project have also had scenes filmed here.
There are hundreds of other filming locations in NYC, but this should give you a good start to your adventures in this great city.